On March 2, 2021, HIPAAtrek hosted a webinar during which Erin MacLean and I discussed the evolution of our understanding of HIPAA’s treatment definition and how new guidance and the Information Blocking Rule impact treatment disclosures. We talked about:
- The new information blocking regulations and how they change provider obligations in responding to requests for information from other treating providers;
- The existing treatment definition under HIPAA and OCR’s interpretation that permits broader sharing with non-healthcare providers;
- Examples of the types of non-healthcare agencies and organizations and the circumstances under which they may receive PHI without an authorization;
- COVID-19 related information sharing, especially test results and vaccination history with such agencies and organization, such as homeless shelters, housing agencies, etc.
- Offer best practice suggestions for ensuring compliance and sample policies.
Watch the webinar on demand here: